Sunday, January 24, 2016

Cherry Blossom & Pink Sugar Handcrafted Soap

Another soap with some titanium dioxide dragging in the final, cut product, but I'm still a huge fan of how it turned out. So is my sister, if her reaction when I dragged her over to check out the soap is any indication.




Base Oils: Coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, canola oil
Superfatting: Sunflower oil, 50% goats milk substitution
Fragrance: 75/25 cherry blossom/pink sugar
Additives: Tussah silk fibers


This was another slow moving recipe and fragrance oil combo that I wanted to do a tricolor swirl with. I got too anxious with pouring my soap and the batter was thin enough for most of the colors to blend together. I still got a pretty swirl, but I wish I had thought to wait a bit for the batter to thicken up. I guess I was just scared of the soap tracing too fast and losing my opportunity for me to swirl. Lesson learned if I ever make soap here! I also forgot to add my sodium lactate to the cold lye/goat water. Oopsie!

Unmolding was a breeze except for a reddish liquid that kept seeping out of the soap as it cured. I feel like it was the palm oil I used (it was a weird red variant that we picked up from the grocery store when I ran out) but I didn't have time to do further testing before I left. This is another soap that I will have to come back and report on once it's fully cured and one of my family members use it.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like an incredibly beautiful blend. The colors remind me of dragon hide. Love! So all this chemistry talk sounds complicated. There seem to be so many factors to soaping. It has to be a real talent to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kicking myself for not bringing at least the loaf ends from all of these soaps I've made. Writing posts about them only makes it worse! :)

      The chemistry can be a little daunting at first but after you've run through the process a few times it becomes second nature. I can tell you the SAP value of my four main soapmaking oils off the top of my head.
      If you'd like I can do a step-by-step soapmaking process with links and any tips or tricks I've picked up along the way. I've already taken all of the pictures. I just need to get my butt in gear and post it! :)

      Delete